Everyone who knows me knows that I love science fiction. I am a self-admitted Star Wars nerd. I have no issues with bearing that burden. However, there is another universe that I have started to become enamoured with, and that is Warhammer 40,000. I'll spare you the thousands of words that it would take to describe it, but needless to say it is something that started out as a table top game a-la Dungeons and Dragons in Great Britain and has since expanded into graphic novels and literature. Now, any universe that is as dark and war-filled as this, with monstrous men known as space marines is bound to rock, and the books do. They provide me with more than enough entertainment since I am running out of Star Wars novels.
But now to the reason for this rumination of mine. Star Wars has the lightsaber. Everyone has seen them and knows that they're about the size of a mall guard's flashlight and emit a meter long energy blade that's roughly as hot as our sun (which is why they are scientifically impossible to create). Warhammer has the chainsword, as well as a chain axe and chain fist (think a boxing glove with massive toothed chainsaw blades that run around it). This weapon, while not as elegant as a lightsaber, is more realistic in terms of creation. Below is a video of space marines fighting some eldar (surf through the link above if you really care who they are) with a guest appearance from a tyranid hive tyrant at the end. There are genaric marines, heavy weapon marines, and even a dreadnaught (figure it out). The key is, you get to see this beloved chainsword in action. I love both universes too much to decide which weapon is better, so I'll leave that to you.
16 years ago






0 comments:
Post a Comment